Statuettes of Black Hunters
Statuettes of Black Hunters (c. 1650) artwork is made by Giovanni Campi after Francois Duquesnoy and is located in the Borghese Gallery in Rome. The material is a touchstone (moors), Giallo Antico (bandoliers), a touchstone with roundels of brecciated yellow (pedestals), and gilded metal (socle). Its height is 65 cm, and you can see the statuettes in Room VI.
This artwork belongs to the original decoration of the casino. The design resembled that of the ancient works of art on display, but it added a touch of color and luxury to the overall appearance of the collection.
Like other sculptors working in 17th century Rome, Duquesnoy and Campi were called upon to restore and complete antiquities, for headless torsos rarely found a market with contemporary connoisseurs
The statuettes may have been made as pendants, not only because of their subject but also due to the figures’ postures. But, in truth, they reflect images and are in postures that permit them to be set together on the same plane, mainly as they appear to be looking at the same point.
Both hold a bird of prey, whereas, tied up at their sides, is, in one case, a dog, within the other, a lion. A bandolier, partially reestablished, is put over their torsos from the shoulders to the waist
Placed in the 18th century in the Stanza del Gladiatore, flanking the Bacchanalia of Putti, they were moved to the Stanza Apollo and Dafne (room III) before being returned to their original location. Their execution may be dated no later than 1651 because Giovanni Campi received payments for the two statuettes from June until March 1653.
Book a Visit
Contemporary descriptions of the Villa Borghese attribute the Black Hunters to Francois Duquesnoy, but this is not confirmed by the biographers of the sculptor, who may, however, have provided Campi with a model